20 Outdoor Activities (Before Summer Ends)
High school starts next week for us in our state. I always get a little restless and melancholy the week before, remembering that summer is ending soon and we will be back to fall routines. Summer is that season where we rest, play, and rejuvenate and I’m not ready to say goodbye to it.
Seasons are fleeting and life moves fast. Before we know it, autumn will arrive with its obligations and activities. August has a special kind of magic to it, and the only way to enjoy the best of it is to live in the moment until it is gone.
I came up with a list of outdoor activities to choose from. Call them childlike or whimsical, I prefer to think of them as spontaneous, playful, and good for the soul. Consider these outdoor activities to take advantage of before the summer ends.
1. Bring pillows & blankets outside to close your eyes and listen to nature as day turns to night.
2. Gather wildflowers and weave them into a wreath or crown.
3. Bring a lantern or flashlight on a twilight walk, choose dirt paths instead of city streets.
4. Dry clothing outside on a line so they are crisp and smell like sunshine.
5. Go berry picking or to a farmer’s market for fruit and make a dessert that night.
6. Set up a tent in the backyard for reading books or napping.
7. Remove shoes on grass, sand, or dirt to feel the earth beneath your feet.
8. Visit a local botanical garden in full bloom.
9. Go on a nature scavenger hunt with friends or family. Award prizes!
10. Meet friends at a local park on a weekday for a potluck or picnic lunch.
11. Let your kids be the boss for a day and do whatever they want to do in town.
12. Go on a last second road trip and stay overnight in a place you’ve never explored.
13. Host an end of summer cocktail party on your porch or patio for your favorite people.
14. Try a local restaurant you’ve never been to and people watch while sitting outdoors.
15. Drive away from city lights to stargaze on a clear night.
16. In stillness, count the sounds you hear in nature and keep score: birds, breezes, anything natural.
17. Set the dinner table outside every night for a week.
18. Invite a friend on an evening walk where you each share your summer highlights.
19. Find a local lake or river to float in the water and look up at the clouds.
20. Watch a sunset from the highest point you can find nearby.
How do you plan to enjoy these last weeks of summer before it fades away?
Did you miss our previous article…